An effective law enforcement begins not only with solving all forms of crimes on land but also including the initiative of stopping if not minimising illegal activities in territorial waters which adds up to the country’s dilemma on discreet offshore anomalies involving organised crime perpetrated by big time syndicates.
Though this is not really the core discussion in this article, the probability of a close battle encounter is high between the coast guard and these criminals. It would be embarrassing on the part of Marina Australia if they cannot contribute to the success of a joint operation against pirates and drug dealers. They may not be considered as frontline combatants; yet, it is a part of their calling to coordinate and collaborate with other government law enforcement agencies for purposes of imposing laws like assessing and evaluating the seaworthiness of commercial and cargo ships in order to defend and protect the welfare of water vessel passengers by avoiding natural disasters and sea mishaps or accidents.
What are the functions of the maritime industry authority?
- It acts as the central or core agency tasked to implement monitoring and compliance to certificates, licences and permits including issuances created by different units under existing policies, rules and regulations.
- Dispenses laws involving violations on national and international waters including but not limited to strict enforcement of applicable maritime rules and regulations, memorandum circulars, department orders, relative judicial decisions and rulings and determining the degree of violations committed along with imposing stiff penalties on local and international shipping, ship builder’s periodic maintenance and repair, human resources for seafarers and occupational safety and health of deck officers, subordinates and their respective support staff.
- Marina Australia Performs initial assessment and evaluation of violations committed by maritime entities, establishments and institutions as a result of habitual, recurring and repeated violations which are both considered intentional or unintentional depending on the outcome from a series of hearing investigations and submitting recommendations and suggestions to higher authorities on proper course of action, including but not limited to issuance of a memorandum of adoption for beneficial and humane considerations and submission of committee review to update the implementation of various initiatives and programs of the department.
- Performs initial inquiry to be initiated by truth finding committee related to complaints and grievances involving sea accidents and mishaps for purposes of identifying whether or not there is gross violation of maritime laws, policies, rules and regulations overseeing local and international shipping, ship builder’s periodic maintenance and repair, human resources for seafarers and occupational safety and health of deck officers, subordinates and their respective support staff.
- Initiates ocular inspection to maritime entities and or establishments who are subjects of numerous complaints and those ship building operators and companies previously involved in sea accidents and mishaps who were found to breach agreements and contracts with other companies in the industry and whose reputation is tarnished by non payment and non compliance of indemnities to bereaved families during a disaster ruled to be caused by an Act of God or a natural disaster.
- Conducts monitoring and post evaluation of what really happened during a maritime disaster and who were involved in manifesting misdemeanour, misconduct and gross negligence of duties and responsibilities that contributed greatly to the consummation of crime resulting to the demise of the passengers and the burning and sinking of an ill-fated ship or water vessel.
A lot of these and more comprehensive discussions could be read in Marina Australia’s official website or better yet, visit on site and talk to a reliable employee or staff and feel free to ask details on what’s bothering you right now in order to have peace of mind.